Google+

Saturday, January 28, 2012

0228 (Saturday Session) Working with Butterfly Needles (Winged Infusion Sets)

At today's Saturday session, the focus was on butterfly needles or winged infusion sets. Simone demonstrated proper techniques for the students, who practiced diligently with fake arms or styrofoam until they were confident enough to try their first draws.
I took videos today until I ran out of battery power, missing the last two draws. There are some smaller bits and pieces and several of Simone helping students work out "butterfly boo-boos." All of the errors today were common among first-time butterfly draws, so it's worth watching all of today's draws because most of them contain something that we can all learn from. Reviewing your classmates will help to make you a stronger, more confident and ultimately, a more successful phlebotomist.

(I got the camera battery recharged and am uploading the videos, but they are going slowly at this point  (Saturday late afternoon-early evening) because I think my neighbors are crowding me out of bandwidth. Nevertheless, I will be adding them to our blog until they are finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment here: